Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Kids Aren't Alright.

Having just agreed upon the new Terms & Conditions regarding age requirements for SL, I decided I would finally post my feelings on children being in Second Life.

I hesitated to post about it for a long time because I believe  to "live and let live".  Just because I don't like or don't understand something doesn't mean that I can't accept it.  An it harm none, do what ye will.  I'm a believer!

I understand that child characters provide a different creative outlet, lend themselves to different role play storylines and (with romantic relationships being such a huge part of the SL experience) are a natural progression for people who want to take their relationship/family to another level.  I get all that. 

Unfortunately, I think it's a slippery slope that I personally don't want to go anywhere near.

I don't like it.  That goes for child avatars being controlled by adults and people playing the game that are under the age of 18.  I'm sorry to offend anyone but that was my first reaction upon seeing a child in world for the first time (in an adults only region of course) and my feelings haven't changed.

The first time I ever spoke a child avatar, I felt like a total creep even though all I did was reply that her outfit was also "very pretty".  That's it!  It just felt wrong.  With everything we (as adults) know about the Internet and how vulnerable children are here, it just doesn't seem right to involve them in the game.

I am openly critical of the decision to allow users 13 years of age and over in the game.  With the obvious understanding that where there's a will there's a way I don't think we need to make it easier for real children to become caught up in the make believe world that adults create. 

I will post more on this another time, I just needed to put that out there.  Mostly just to open the discussion....what do y'all think? 

I am always open to creative, thought-provoking communication and welcome your comments any time! :)

Blessings as always,

~Moirae

2 comments:

  1. And here I enter the controversy - I totally agree! While I did not have the same leery feeling about talking to child avatars, that was when I knew there was typically an adult "driver".

    Of course, there has probably always been younger people falsifying information to get into restricted areas... it's not completely preventable. However, with these new changes, it is more likely for adults to encounter a player who is younger. That worries me.

    It's just a game - right? I don't believe so. Even I get offended or uncomfortable when I happen across a sim that is somewhat risque. I understand the want or need behind it, but it's just not for me. Now, it introduces too many opportunities for people with harmful intentions to take advantage of impressionable minds.

    Many of us may find ourselves in protective situations to help prevent this now... but we cannot stop all potential advances. There are abuse reports that can be filed, but this is not on the same level as a griefer by any means... not to mention how it could be misused. It makes me sad and I completely agree that the two worlds should have never been merged, especially if the motivation behind it was just to downsize to save money.

    ~*~ Dreamy ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamy - I so appreacite the feedback!! And agree on all points. Especially re: the downsizing to save a penny. At what cost really?

    The adult "drivers" of these child avatars seem to be some of the most creative people out there and I would hate to take away from their contributions. I suppose the child avatars aren't really my concern (as long as they are kept within respectable guidlines!) but with the recent change in terms I think underage users are a huge threat to the age-verified, paying residents. The inclusion of children in any way shape or form feels a little like we have opened Pandora's box. Scary.

    Agreeably there will always be people who abuse the sytem however before these recent changes, I felt it was "their bad" and the onus to deal with them fell on the Lindens. It feels different now!

    I also find it amusing that my biological clock is not ticking in SL or RL. I find children to be scary in both worlds. ;) *giggles*

    Always great to hear your thoughts Dreamy - hope to chat more soon! :)

    ~Moirae

    ReplyDelete