Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Suprisingly Spiritual Path...

Despite my faerie tendancies to sing, dance, play and eat sweets all day long, I have found myself called to a deeper experience.  I'm not sure how it first came about but somehow I ended up at the Kannonji Zen Retreat, a beautiful and meaningful place for all who enjoy it.  I do have to say that the music choice there seemed a little curious however I think the experience is best sans tunes.  The sound of natures is the perfect enhancement.  The visitor center has a database of various talks from buddhist teachers which you can listen to while sitting in the lounge chairs on the back deck - the view is remarkable!  The rest of the grounds can be discovered by foot or by hot air balloon or canoe tour!  I have yet to paddle around but I could not resist the hot air balloon ride - here is a pic!

Hot Air Balloon Tour at Kannonji ia a must.  Nice house!

Just looking back through my pictures has reminded me of what a special place Kannonji has quickly become for me.  I have attended several silent meditations at the Zendo and the energy there left me feeling lighter and yet more grounded.  Amazing!  The other night was my first group discussion lead by Soto Zen Priest Cynthia Kear, aka "Cynergy Swords" and though we had to cut it short (hope you had a good long weekend Cynergy!) we found ourselves in a great conversation about staying upright in uncertainty.   Cynergy's insight on the subject was wise and listening to her speak came easily.  Her recommendation to "update your fear inventory" really made me think and will hopefully open up some new possibilities for me.  There was precious import from others at the discussion as well, I'm really looking forward to my next experience there.


Silent Meditation with Thunderfoot Lorefield

 
And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, or that the visitors of Kannonji were a friendly, yet serious bunch - I was invited to a live concert in the forest!  From the comfort ouf our pillows fireside, a nice group of us took in the tunes and I know I was absolutely blown away! 




Thunderfoot (Lorefield, from silent meditation) opened the night with an great acoustic performance that included everything from the Sesame Street opening tune to the Stones....(I think?  Might have been Zepplin, I can't remember....but you get the point!) 

When strum Diesel took to the stage on his piano - wow!!! My head was bobbing, my favorite pointed faerie shoes were tappin'.....a great show! I hope to catch them both again very soon and you should too! Another great example of the talent that is so abundant in SL.

strum Diesel showing us how it's done at Kannonji

Since stumbing across Kannonji and down the Buddhist path, I have found a number of tranquil Buddhist lands with practice spaces and libraries and resources galore.  A wise buddhist once told me, "When the student is ready, the teacher will come."  I think I am ready!  This is but one of the many things I was hoping to learn about.  I hope I have enough room in this pea brain of mine to retain everything!




Namaste,

Moirae







2 comments:

  1. Hi, I recommended this post on my blog, with your profile picture, I hope that's ok. :)
    http://alanapyara.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-recommend.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alana, I'm honored! Thank you so much! Namaste. :)

    ReplyDelete